Friday, July 22, 2005

HelpDesk Call of the Week

Ok, so I'm going to start trying to post the best worst call I get each week here. Who knows? Maybe I'll write a book someday...

This week's winner is an old standard, not one I haven't heard before. An oldie but goodie.

:: ring ring ::
Caller : "Um, yeah, so none of the computers can connect to the wireless network."
S.C. : "Ok, and you've tried several?"
Caller : "Yeah, I can log into the computer fine, but I can't connect to the network."
S.C. : "Ok, you remember where the Access Point is, I showed you when I installed it?"
Caller : "Yeah..."
S.C. : "Can you unplug the power cord, let it sit for 10 seconds, and then plug it back it. Let's see if that takes care of the problem."
Caller : "Ok, hold on."
:: phone gets put down, and then picked up about a minute later ::
Caller : "Well, how about that."
S.C. : "Did it work for you?"
Caller : "Well, when I got there, it was already unplugged. The cleaning people must've hit it..."
:: pause ::
S.C. : "Thank you for calling the HelpDesk, have a nice day."

The moral of today's story is as follows:
More damage to corporate networks is caused by cleaning staff than all other sources combined.
posted by S.C. @ 1:17 PM |

0 comments

<< Home