Wednesday, July 27, 2005

On The Pod #1 : Dark Side of the Moon

In this segment, we'll look at whatever happens to be playing on my iPod when I decide to post one of these.

Today's entry, Pinky Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

The album is a classic. Indeed, it holds the all-time sales record for a single album. I'm curious as to how much of this is caused by stoners trying to do the whole Wizard of Oz thing (sidenote: I've done it, it's awesome, and I didn't even have to get high to enjoy it), but regardless of the reason, it's a fantastic album.

This album is a shining examble of what albums used to be about, namely production and story. The vast majority of albums sold these days are just random collections of the most annoyingly virulent (see: Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash) songs that they can coax out of a singer and slap onto a CD. An album used to be a work of art, a carefully crafted arrangement of songs that led you along a path chosen by the musicians. Alas, I digress...

A Quick Track Breakdown
1. Speak to Me / Breathe
2. On the Run
3. Time
4. The Great Gig In The Sky (I have a goal in life to make a woman make those sounds...I've come close)
5. Money
6. Us and Them
7. Any Colour You Like
8. Brain Damage
9. Eclipse


(By the way, the Wizard of Oz / DSotM thing really DOES work, you might want to try it sometime.)
posted by S.C. @ 1:22 PM |

2 comments

<< Home