Monday, August 01, 2005

On The Pod #2 : Phish 02/21/03

Ok, so, you might as well know this about me:

I love Phish.

I mean, I LOVE Phish.

eargasm - n. An aurally stimulated experience, similar to an orgasm, but without the mess.

The 02/21/03 show was my first Phish concert. The Redhead has been a fan for a while, but I was just trailing out of my heavy-metal-angst phase, and hadn't really developed an appreciation for other types of music yet. So she was kind of taking a risk, taking me to this show.

We'd been officially dating for about 5 months at that point, and both of us knew it was getting pretty serious. She got my ticket for me for Valentine's Day (without telling me), and arranged the time off with my boss (without telling me), and then dragged me out of work early one Friday to drive up to Cincinnati with her.

Before the show, I had never heard so much as a note of Phish, so it was a complete shock to me. I think it really helped that it turned out to be a stunningly good show (one of the top 10 post-hiatus shows on many lists), but I was blown away. Honestly, it was a crucial point for our relationship, in more than one way. I mean, I guess she could've loved me even if I hated the music, or disliked the crowd, or the concert scene, but it would've made it harder.

In a way, that's one of the things that we truly share, our love of music. We have aspects of our personality that are similar, and many that are different, but our understanding of music is what really helped us bond.

Anyway, I digress, as I often do. Here's the setlist for the show:

Set I
1. Wilson (if you've never heard 17,000 people chanting in unison, you've missed something)
2. Frankenstein
3. Down With Disease
4. Lifeboy
5. Boogie On Reggae Woman (veeeery funky)
6. Run Like An Antelope
7. I Didn't Know (acoustic vocal)

Set II
1. Mike's Song
2. Free (heavy on the bass, I likey)
3. Waste> (very sweet, kind of our date song)
4. 2001 (opens with a tease of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring)
5. Harry Hood (eargasm about 14 minutes in)
6. All Of These Dreams
7. Possum
8. Cavern

Encore
1. Wading In The Velvet Sea
posted by S.C. @ 1:00 PM |

4 comments

<< Home