Friday, September 09, 2005

Let's Talk T.V.

When I got home from the hospital last night, I was pretty tired. It's amazing how tiring sitting in a hospital room can be...

So, anyway, I need some kind of a pick-me-up, it's been a long day, and I'm kind of drained. So, I pop in Disc 2 of the first season of Scrubs...

I cannot tell you how much I love that show. Even after, what, 3 seasons now, it's still fresh, funny, and insightful. Touching and irreverent, all at once. And with lots of quotable lines, which is a big plus in my book, because I am the King of Random Quotes. (Just ask anyone whose blog I've commented on recently...)

That got me thinking about hospitals and TV, which reminded me of an experience I had a couple of years ago...

At some point one evening, I started to notice a fluttering in my chest. I didn't think much of it, but the next day it was still there, so I made an appointment to go see my doctor that afternoon. When I saw him, he diagnosed me with atrial fibrillation, which is not an immediately threatening problem, but it needed to be corrected pretty quickly. So, I get admitted to the hospital overnight for treatment and observation.

I'm in the Cardiac ICU, and I am by far the youngest person there, by at least 40 years or so. The guy in the bed next to me is literally dying, his priest is there, his family, everyone's saying their goodbyes. And, here I am, hooked up to a heart monitor with my heart fluttering around 150 beats per minute. Scary shit for a 22 year old.

The evening wears on, visiting hours end, and my parents leave (they, of course, are freaked out too, which doesn't help). I'm lying there, waiting for the cardiologist to return with my results, and I start flipping through channels on the television. I end up on FOX, watching the series premiere of a show called "Firefly". This turned out to be important because, for an hour at least, it completely took my mind off of the fact I was in the hospital, and even made me laugh a couple of times. The show, to this day, remains on of my favorite series ever, so if I end up quoting something dryly humorous that you don't know where it's from, it's probably from "Firefly".

Sorry about the ramble, folks.

"Who's flying this thing? Oh, right, that would be me..."
posted by S.C. @ 7:38 AM |

1 comments

<< Home