Friday, October 07, 2005

Chores

So, as we're steaming along towards our wedding, The Redhead and I have been spending more and more time in each other's company in a domestic setting. We can't officially "live together" until after the wedding (conservative parents), so she's left a couple of items at her sisters house where she rents, but for all intents and purposes, we've been living together for about 9 months now. The dynamic of the relationship is interesting, as she's been with me every step of the way since I bought the house. I'll even confess that, since I was positive I'd be marrying this woman, I got as much input as I could from her during the purchase process...

Anywho, I digress, as I wanted to talk about household chores, and the division of labor. I know a lot of couples who have a set schedule of who does what around the house, and it seems to work pretty well for them. The Redhead and I work more in a freeform manner, and everything seems to get done. I was wondering if anyone out in blogville would like to chime in with their personal experience about chore sharing?

Now, of course, there are a couple of items that seem to automatically fall to one or the other of us. For example, I seem to have gotten the "take out the trash & recycling" duty, while The Redhead does most of the laundry ('cause, let's face it, I suck at doing her laundry...all the rules and sorting makes my head hurt). Of course, even these divisions aren't set in stone, and if one person is unavailable, or too tired, the other will cover their end. I like that. I dislike people who say "I won't do that, that's not my job" on a regular basis...

Alas, I ramble again. Chime in with your experience, if you'd like.
posted by S.C. @ 8:19 AM |

2 comments

<< Home