Friday, November 18, 2005

Night Flying

I went out with an instructor last night to regain my night currency. For those of you who want to know, the requirements for night currency are:

3 takeoffs and 3 landings to a full stop performed in the period beginning an hour after sunset and ending an hour after sunrise in an aircraft of the same category, performed within the last 90 days.

Seeing as how I hadn't flown at night in the last, oh, 9 years (3285 days), my night currency was a little expired. Technically, I could've gone up myself and saved the cost of the instructor, but I wanted to have an objective set of eyes watching me while I took my first night flight, just as a safety precaution.

The night couldn't have been better. Clear, calm, cold (28 on the ground, colder in the air). Cold is good, because the airplane performs better (aerodynamically) in colder air. We flew up to Colombus, IN (KBAK) from my home base in Louisville (KLOU), and did a stop-and-go landing there. A stop-and-go is exactly what it sounds like: touch down on the runway, brake to a stop, then power up and take off without delay. This allows for a landing "to a full stop", as is required, but saves time in taxiing off the runway, then back down to the end, etc.

From there, we turned south again and headed to Clark County airport (KJVY) for another stop-and-go, then back to Louisville to call it a night. Not an exceptionally long flight, an hour and a half from engine start to engine stop, but enough for me to get a feel for night operations again, regain my currency, and log it as cross country time. (I'll explain why logging as cross country time is important some other time, seeing as I've exceeded my normal post length many, many times over)
posted by S.C. @ 7:44 AM |

0 comments

<< Home