Thursday, November 10, 2005

Who Does THAT Job?

You know, there's a long list of jobs that I've always wondered about, especially who did them and what they got paid for it. This morning, I was reminded about one of them...

First, a brief bit of background:
I am a pilot. Not as a perfession, just as a hobby. As a pilot, I deal with navigational aids called Airways, which are straight lines from one fixed point to another fixed point. Think of them as streets in the sky.

I also deal with Intersections, which are what you find when two airways cross paths (again, using the street analogy, just like the intersection at 4th and Main). The way the FAA identifies these intersections is with a five-letter code.

Now, what I want to know is, who comes up with these codes? Because whoever it is, they have a sense of humor.

Here are a couple of samples from my region:

GITAR - Outside Nashville, TN
PONIE - Outside Louisville, KY

My father flew out to South Dakota yesterday, and flew over HIS favorite intersection, which is high in the air above an Iowa cornfield: EIEIO

Finally, sometimes sequences of intersections are used for instrument approaches into airports, the pilot just has to fly from each intersection to the next. There's one sequence here that cracks me up:

TOADU -> NUNYA -> BNNIS

Say them out loud, see if you get it...
posted by S.C. @ 8:06 AM |

1 comments

<< Home