Thursday, February 16, 2006

Auditory Stimulation - Heaps of Johnson

My lovely Redhead picked herself up a couple of CDs this week (I know, I know, WAAAAY retro), and I have conveniently stolen them so I can rip them to my work computer.

The first is Imogen Heap's album Speak For Yourself. If you don't recognize the name, you may recognize the voice, because she fronts the band Frous Frous, which had a single on the Garden State soundtrack that was also featured in most of the trailers. Speak For Yourself is a really good album, made even better by the track Hide And Seek, an a capella number that really pushes the limits of voice alteration (it has at least four harmony parts, and Heap sings them all). It's a really inventive track that I've listened to over and over again since stealing the disc.

The second album is Jack Johnson's new release, Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the film Curious George. The songs are simple, many of them well-known children's songs, but the entire album is fun, light, and enjoyable, thanks to Johnson's mellow voice and guitar stylings. I would highly recommend this for anyone, but especially for parents, because it gives the spawn something to listen to that doesn't completely grate on your nerves after the first fifty repetitions. Jack's cover of We're Going To Be Friends is quite engaging, and the opening track Upside Down is a fun, bouncy number.
posted by S.C. @ 10:36 AM |

1 comments

<< Home