Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Brokeback Flower Shop

As previously mentioned, The Redhead and I went to an advance screening of Imagine Me & You last night, mainly because it was free. Neither of us had heard much about the movie other than the basic premise (married woman falls in love with another woman, hilarity ensues) but, again, it was free, so we went.

We were both pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the movie actually was. Aside from being set in London, which immediately gave us honeymoon flashbacks, the film was humorous (see my earlier comments about the father of the bride, who was fantastically droll), touching, and thought-provoking. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for some light lesbian faire.

Seriously, though, The Redhead and I had a good discussion about the movie on the way home. While I in no way endorse cheating or infidelity of any kind, the movie brings up the point that sometimes, people can get themselves trapped into a marriage without ever realizing that they're with someone of the wrong gender, and there needs to be a way to address that without resorting to lifelong infidelity.

I'll also mention Matthew Goode, who played the husband. A very fine up and coming yound actor, in my opinion. I really enjoyed his performance in this film, and hope to see him in more projects very soon.

The major thing I noticed about this movie is that, while male homosexual relationships seem to take place in cold tents in the wilderness with nothing but a few grunts (a la Brokeback Mountain), lesbian intimacy seems to involve a lot of giggling and flowers. Who knew?
posted by S.C. @ 8:14 AM |

1 comments

<< Home