Friday, February 17, 2006

Concepts

I'm a guy who loves concepts.

For example, I love the concept of a flamethrower, because it means that someone had to have said, "You know, I want to set those people, over there, on fire. But, they're way over there. If I only had something that would, I don't know, throw flame at them..."

In reality, a flamethrower is a horrible, horrible thing. But I like the concept.

Same thing with this:


This is the GAU-8 Avenger. It's a really, really, really big gun meant for killing tanks. But they needed a fast, safe way to get it close to the tanks to shoot at them, and a semi-truck just wouldn't do it for them. So, they designed a plane to carry the gun.



It's the only time in history a plane has been specifically designed around a weapon. Literally, around a weapon.

Again, the reality of dumping a combination of high-explosive and depleted uranium armor-piercing rounds into the vehicle of some guy who wants to kill you sucks. But the concept is cool.
posted by S.C. @ 3:31 PM |

0 comments

<< Home