Thursday, February 16, 2006

HellDesk Call Of The Day : Passwords

*ring ring*

S.C. : "Good morning, HelpDesk, S.C. speaking."

Caller : "Yeah, I can't get into my server."

S.C. : "Um, and which server would that be, ma'am?" (Ed Note : We currently have 16 servers that are regularly accessed by users)

Caller : "The one I log on to in the mornings."

S.C. : "Sooooo, that would be your Terminal Server?"

Caller : "Yeah, that's what I said."

S.C. : "Ok, which server number do you log into?"

Caller : "Three."

*clickity clickity click*

S.C. : "Just one moment. Is your username XXXXXXXX?"

Caller : "Yes."

S.C. : "And, what password are you using?"

Caller : "YYYYYYYYY"

*clickity click*

S.C. : "Hmmm, okay, that checks out. I'm going to try and log in from here using your username and password, give me just one moment."

*clickity clickity click*

S.C. : "Yes, I got in with no problems. Can you make sure your caps lock is off?"

Caller : "Yes, it's off, I already checked."

S.C. : "Okay, can you make sure you're typing your password correctly, please?"

Caller (agitated) : "Of course I'm typing it in correctly, I'm not stupid!"

(Ed. Note : At this point, the HelpDesk worker had a strong urge to mumble "Oh, but I have proof to the contrary," but he restrained himself with a heroic show of mental will.)

S.C.
: "Okay, well, the only thing that I can tell you is that I can confirm that you're connecting to the server, which means your terminal and network connection are working. I can confirm that you're attempting to authenticate with the server, and that the system is rejecting your username / password combination. Now, assuming that you spelled your userid correctly (Ed. note : first name), and taking into account that *I* can log into the server with your username and password, I don't know what to tell you except to be more careful typing in your password in the future."

Caller
: "I'm NOT typing in my password wrong, there's something wrong with my server!!"

S.C. : "Thank you for calling, and if you have any further problems, please don't hesitate to let us know."
posted by S.C. @ 12:23 PM |

1 comments

<< Home